IOHprofiler environments aim at
building and establishing open-source, user-friendly, and community-driven platforms for comparing different optimization techniques. The goal of this competition is to make benchmarking even more accessible, reproducible and fairer.
All submissions that contribute towards these goals are most welcome!
There is absolutely no restriction on what to submit. All submissions that contribute to building and establishing open-source, user-friendly, and community-driven platforms for comparing different optimization techniques are welcome. Typical submissions fall into one of these categories:
new benchmark problems, additional performance measures or statistics, visualization of benchmark data,
extending or improving the functionalities of our benchmarking environments,
interfaces to other existing benchmarking platforms, etc.
Your creativity is the only limit ;-)
We are happy to support you with your competition entries -- do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have an idea that you would like to discuss before getting started!
How to participate:
- Make a pull request to
Nevergrad or to
- Send us a documentation that describes your submission
(by e-mail to Carola and to
This documentation can be very short - there is no page limit nor any requirements on the format of the documentation. Just keep in mind that the documentation is the element that will be used by the jury members to select the winning entries, together with some information about your pull request (has it been merged, is it functional, has it been used already, ...). A concise presentation of your submission will be surely be appreciated!
- In the spirit of open science, we encourage you to make your submission available on arXiv or your homepage and to link it from your pull request. This is not a formal requirement, though.
All submissions made between January 1, 2022, and June 15, 2022 participate in the competition.
- Competition participants may also consider submitting a short (2-page, including references) description of their submission for consideration for publication in the Companion proceedings of
GECCO 2022. Note that the deadline for these submissions is considerably earlier than the competition entry deadline, on April 12, 2022. Submissions to the GECCO companion are handled via their submission system, instructions and relevant dates are available on the
- Thomas Bartz-Beielstein, TH Cologne, Germany
- Bernd Bischl, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich, Germany
- Andries Engelbrecht, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Martin Holeňa, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
- Pascal Kerschke, TU Dresden, Germany
- Jialin Liu, Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), Shenzhen, China
- Antoine Moreau, Université Clermont Auvergne, France
- Oliver Schütze, CINVESTAV-IPN, Mexico
- Sara Silva, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Christine Zarges, Aberystwyth University, UK
The Open Optimization Competition 2022 is co-located with the
ACM/SIGEVO Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference,
GECCO 2022, July 9-13 (hybrid: Boston, US, and online)
Please send all inquiries to
Carola and to
Olivier, who will coordinate your request.
For questions around Nevergrad, you can also get help via our Facebook group.
Organizers of the competition are the Nevergrad and the IOHprofiler teams. Main contact persons are
- Carola Doerr, CNRS researcher at LIP6, Sorbonne University, Paris, France
- Olivier Teytaud, Facebook Artificial Intelligence Research, Paris, France
- Jeremy Rapin, Facebook Artificial Intelligence Research, Paris, France
- Thomas Bäck, LIACS, Leiden University, The Netherlands
- Hao Wang, LIACS, Leiden University, The Netherlands
- Diederick Vermetten, LIACS, Leiden University, The Netherlands
- Jacob de Nobel, LIACS, Leiden University, The Netherlands
- Furong Ye, LIACS, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Open Optimization Competition 2020
Open Optimization Competition 2021
Page last modified:
February 11, 2022.